Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sewing with a pattern!





So, I haven't necessarily been good about creating a piece a day. I have made some really amazing cookies, learned the art of how to properly pour a latte with a heart design, modified some clothing and made some curtains for my studio.
I am most excited about my creation today. It took a loooong time. I knew ahead of time that this was going to be a difficult task, but I wanted to see if I could do it. I made a blouse from a 50 cent 70's pattern that I got at a local fabric store. I looked for the perfect fabric for a long time and found this really great design that has some white flowers printed on it.
I worked through the pattern. I would sit for a long time at points and just look at the pictures of how I was supposed to do things. They could seem incredibly confusing and then all of a sudden I would hold up my fabric and see what they were trying to describe. I did at one point sew the sleeve on backwards and had to take it out. That was frustrating. It is the kind of thing though that you have to make mistakes to get better. I will now double check that when sewing.
Overall, I am really happy with my new blouse. I have some more patterns that I may try working with or combining with others.
I look forward for an event to wear this to (perhaps teaching my own class one day...white might not be a good idea for a drawing class though...)

No comments: